The San Agustin Church is the oldest church in the Philippines. It is known as the Church of Saint Paul. This first church of the Augustinian Order was built in 1571 but was destroyed by Chinese pirates in 1574. It was rebuilt a year later.
This was the venue of the First Diocesan Synod in 1581. It was burned in 1583. A third church was destroyed by fire in 1586.
The fourth church made of stone was designed by Juan Macias and built from 1587 to 1604. This was Looted during the British invasion in 1762. It was damaged in the Battle of Manila in 1945 and repaired after the war. It became the site of the first Philippine Plenary Council in 1953. It was declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site in 1994.