Plaza Hamabar

Sri Hamabar was one of the names of Raja Humabon, the King of Cebu, a flourishing trading post and settlement since the 10th century.

He was regarded as the “wisest and bravest man on the island” of Sugbo (Cebu), the “king and lord over eight chieftains and over 2,000 lancers.” He rose to power as regent, when his uncle Sri Parang was deemed unfit to rule because of an infirmity after Sri Bantug’s (Humabon’s father) death. His grandfather, Sri Lumay, was one of the original kings of the area, settling in the Visayas islands from Sumatra.

Sugbo’s Rajah Humabon was also known as Humabad, and later on christened Carlos when he was baptized into the Catholic faith. His wife Juana (Hara Humamay), was given the image of the Sto. Niño in gratitude for their hospitality to Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan when he and his Spanish expedition arrived in Cebu in 1521.

In memory of this man stands Plaza Hamabar, located across the Archdiocesan Museum of Cebu in Mabini St.