Museo Sugbo is housed at what was once called Cárcel de Cebú, designed in 1869 by Domingo de Escondrillas, the lone architect in Cebu at the time. It was for 135 years the biggest jail of Cebu.
In a twist of fate, these centuries-old stone walls that once was a prison for iniquities, is now a keeper of antiquities.
Museo Sugbo is now home to several galleries, among them:
The Pre-Colonial Gallery traces over two thousand years of the pre-history of Cebu. Among its highlights include a collection of stone tools dating to the Neolithic (3,000 BCE-500 BCE).
The Spanish Colonial Gallery begins with the arrival of Ferdinand Magellan in 1521 and the conquest of Cebu by Miguel Lopez de Legazpi in 1565. Among the highlights of this section include the first letter ever sent out of the Philippines dated May 27, 1565 from Legazpi to King Philip II.
The Katipunan Revolution and the American Colonial Gallery houses a collection of the memorabilia of the Katipunan in Cebu and the memorabilia of Gov. Sotero Cabahug, builder of the Cebu Capitol.
The War Memorial Gallery houses medals, armaments and vintage bombs as well as documents related to the brutal years of the Japanese Occupation in Cebu up to the Liberation in 1945.
The National Museum – Cebu Regional Branch has two large galleries in another building across the MPHH and the museum quadrangle provide rare artifacts from excavations conducted in Cebu as well as a changing exhibition of objects and artifacts that are part of Cebu’s history.
Cebu Journalism and Journalists Gallery is the first community media museum gallery in the country. The gallery contains photo frames with captions of pre-war and post-war journalists of Cebu with captions on their contributions to Cebu journalism. It also contains equipment like a Minerva letterpress, an ink knife, radio microphones and a Royal Quick Deluxe typewriter. The gallery contains several QR Code markers that make the exhibits interactive.