The Ayuntamiento or Casas Consistoriales was the seat of the City Council of Manila. The first structure was built from 1599 to 1607 but was severely damaged in the earthquakes of 1645 and 1658. It was demolished to make way for new building.
The 2nd building was constructed in 1735. It was destroyed in the 1863 earthquake. The reconstruction by military engineer Eduardo Lopez Navarro begun in 1879 and was completed in 1884. It became the headquarters of the 8th US Army Corps in 1901. It was the site of sessions of the First Philippine Assembly in 1907 and Philippine Legislation in 1935 and housed the offices of the Bureau of Justice and Supreme Court during the American and Commonwealth period. It was destroyed in the Battle of Manila in 1945.
For years, the Ayuntamiento remained in ruins until it was rebuilt by the Bureau of Treasury in 2009. Work was completed in 2014.